Tuesday, July 26, 2011

1850's Farmhouse

I got permission to metal detect an old farmhouse that dates back to the 1850's yesterday. I went after dinner for almost two hours and I will be going back today. I didn't find many old coins which is to be expected around here. Back then, people really didn't carry around much money because the farmers were pretty poor. This house has just over 100 acres and other houses used to stand on the property along with an old school house that was moved to another location in the 1860's and a new school was built up the road from my house. I spent most of the time yesterday near the house and where the old barn used to be. I think today, I will try to spend more time near where the other houses and school used to be since I didn't find much near the house. Here are some of the things that I found yesterday:

The first shell is from after 1926. The second is from 1898-1932. The last is from 1887-1934. They were all in the same area so they were probably shot sometime between the late 1920's and the early 1930's.



I also found a 1923 Wheat Cent, a 1994 penny, and the inevitable nails and foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment