Monday, July 25, 2011

The Old School House

I obtained permission to metal detect an old school house up the road from me. It was built in the late 1860's and it was a school until the 1950's when the public school district formed. It was converted into a residence and the same man has lived there since then. The first day that I went there, I found my first silver coin, a 1923 Mercury dime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Also on the first day, I got a solid high-toned signal. I dug down and discovered I was metal detecting a fireplace's dumping grounds. I found a lot of pieces of foil and I continued to dig when I found a burnt ring. It appears to be gold but it is so badly burned that I can't see any markings that would be on the inside of the ring.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I found several wheat pennies with dates from 1910 through 1958.

On the other days that I went there, I found a 1920 quarter (which also appears to have been in a fire), three Indian Head pennies (1899, 1902, 1903), a 1919 Canadian dime, a 1940 Mercury dime, and a "For Achievement" button with the initials JAC on it (appears gold plated).

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Your getting some great finds.
    Silver is always good.
    Hope the ring tuns out to be gold.
    HH

    ReplyDelete