Thursday, July 28, 2011

Back to the 1850's Farmhouse

I went back to the 1850's farmhouse two days ago and I didn't find much. The ground is so dry right now that I think I am missing a lot of the coins and smaller stuff. I will go back when we get a good amount of rain. Anyways,  I found a pocket knife in the front yard near where I found the pocketknife yesterday which I forgot to mention and take a picture of for the previous blog entry. I was at the house for about 2.5 hours without finding much other than a 1969 quarter and a rimfire shell casing so I headed down to where the old school supposedly was. I'm not totally positive that it used to be the school because it might have been a little further down the road but there was definitely a structure there at one time. It was a couple hundred feet away from the house so I took my car down and the owner took his tractor to show me about where he thinks the school once stood. I spent about an hour and a half there. As soon as I got out of my car, I saw broken pieces of plates/cups/bottles littering the ground. I thought I had really found a good place to detect but I soon learned that was not the case. The only thing I pulled out of that area was a button and a bunch of broken porcelain. I think the porcelain is very interesting and old though so it wasn't a total waste of time. I'm not exactly sure when that structure was knocked down but it was definitely after 1909 and before 1936, so most of the stuff that I found there has to be pretty old.






1 comment:

  1. I dont know if you have found it before, but I follow this forum a lot.
    http://metaldetectingforum.com
    I think you could find lots of info about your finds there.
    What type of detector are you using?
    HH

    ReplyDelete