Monday, August 1, 2011

Some of my Favorite Finds

I got my wisdom teeth out a few days ago so I haven't really been up to metal detecting. I just wanted to make a post about what kind of metal detector I have and some of my other finds that I have found in the past three years of metal detecting.

I started metal detecting in September 2008 with a little kids metal detector that didn't have any sensitivity settings or anything but I still found some interesting things in my yard with it, so my mom got me a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for Christmas. That is the only metal detector I have right now but I want to upgrade to a better metal detector soon. I also have a Garrett Pro-Pointer pinpointer that my aunt got me this past Christmas.

Here are some of my favorite finds from my own yard. Right now we have about two acres of yard and an acre of woods. I have searched it over and over and I never come back to the house without finding something.

 I found this pin in my backyard. According to my research, the Minute Women were an anti-communist group in the 1950's.
 I actually found two of these U.S. Army pins from World War II. I found one on the side of the house and donated it to the town historical museum along with some other relics. Then, the next day I found an identical pin in the back yard. Only two people that lived at this house were in World War II so it seems kind of odd that they would both lose the same pin.
 I found this pipe in the crawl space under my house. I got the urge to metal detect in the middle of winter when the ground was frozen so I decided to try metal detecting the crawl space. I found this pipe on top of the ground. I also found spoons, and broken plates under there.
 I found this glass bottle stuck in the foundation in the crawl space. It doesn't have any markings or anything on it so I'm not sure exactly how old it is.
 I found this lock near where the barn used to be. The piece that goes over the key hole says "VR" and it says "PATENT" on both sides of the key hole.
This was the only old coin that I found in my yard, besides a few 1920's wheat pennies. This was also my first Indian Head penny and currently my oldest coin. It was in really bad shape and the only way I could clean it up to get a year (1890) off it was soaking it in vinegar and baking soda. I probably ruined any value it might have had but I am still happy with it.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics of your finds.
    The Pro pointer is such a cool tool I have 2 of them in case one fails on a hunt.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your finds.
    HH

    ReplyDelete